Activities focus of research

By Marianne Renner

Students involved in co-curricular activities tend to be more successful and receive a higher quality education than students not involved, a Board of Regents Chancellor’s report stated.

The Regents recently asked universities to prepare summary documents regarding campus activities and their relationship to higher education quality.

The report concluded co-curricular activities distinguish mediocre institutions from high quality institutions.

It stated a student’s involvement is a major factor in his completing a baccalaureate degree, and emphasized university integration of instructional and co-curricular aspects of learning.

“This has been an issue of national concern,” said Jon Dalton, vice president for student affairs.

Dalton said research has shown student involvement in extracurricular activities is a very important component and needs to be given attention.

“Research has shown students who become more involved, are more interested in college, more likely to stay in school and more likely to achieve academically,” Dalton said.

e said co-curricular activities focus more on departmental clubs as opposed to extracurricular activities.

Any campus activity is considered extracurricular, including Campus Activities Board’s activities, films, concerts and recreation, Dalton said.

“The study includes all student activities with the exception of athletics,” he said.

No research has been done regarding the number of students involved in extracurricular activities at NIU, but Dalton said he believes part of the reason students choose to attend NIU is because of the availability of campus activities.

Dalton said, “Students tend to say they like the opportunity for extracurricular activities here, and we (the administration) know the number of student organizations are increasing.”

The campus environment can help in retaining and attracting new students, the report stated. It states activities can provide opportunities for personal development, specifically inter-personal communication and social organization.

The topic of student involvement in co-curricular activities will be discussed at the Regents’ January meeting.