Guidelines for OCR use found

By Nancy Broten

Campus Recreation Director Betty Montgomery and the Student Association Recreation Committee Thursday discovered the existence of two different sets of guidelines regarding Campus Recreation Center use.

The clash between the guidelines has resulted in a conflict about who decides the allocation of Campus Recreation Center use.

Montgomery said the policy handbook she consulted was written in 1984 by a committee which had at least three student members. The policy stated, “In all rental requests, the OCR coordinator is responsible for issuing contracts and the director will determine the appropriateness of facility use and time.”

Todd Lokken, SA recreation adviser and SARC chairman, said, “I don’t honestly believe SARC ever agreed to it (the policy). I think it was made up not to intentionally bypass SARC but to just set something for them to follow.”

e said although there were students on the committee he did not think they had any connection with SARC.

Lokken said he consulted the 1980 “overall policy” which was approved by SARC. It states that SARC must approve all policies including recreation facility use.

“I don’t see how it would entail anything other than rental,” Lokken said.

Montgomery said SARC and OCR have “shared governance” in that SARC approves programming and the rec center budget each spring.

She said the policy states either the director or the director’s designee is responsible for generating revenue and implementing the policy SARC approves.

The conflict arose after College of Education Dean Jerry Ball listed the rec center as the location of two physical education classes in the spring 1987-88 course schedule book.

Ball said he did not consult Montgomery or SARC before submitting the class listings in order to meet the printing deadline of the schedule book.

Montgomery said SARC should trust her judgment in renting the rec center. “I’m not going to give the facility away. I have always gotten input from you (SARC).” She said SARC approved physical education rental of the rec center for the fall ‘87 semester.

Lokken suggested making “a compromise” with OCR and the physical education department for rental of the rec center. He said SARC sent “counterproposals” to the physical education department concerning the “compromise.”

SARC member and SA Sen. David Hochberg said the committee could not comment on the counterproposals.