Greeks grant awards

By Christine Boike

The Black Greek Council participated in the Greek Scholarship Awards Presentation Thursday for the first time as NIU fraternities and sororities were recognized for outstanding achievements.

BGC adviser Martha Palmer said the BGC does “want to cooperate with everyone else” and take part in greek activities. She would like people to be “very sensitive to the BGC systems” because they represent unity, friendship and high scholastic standards.

InterFraternity Council President Tom Zur and Panhellenic President Mary Beth Hatcher introduced Jeff Cufaude as the new activities adviser for greek affairs.

Cufaude said he sees a bright future for the greek community because the “national trend is for more and more people to go greek.” He also said there will be a growing focus on scholarship attention in the greek system, which soon might be the strongest reason to join the greek community.

atcher said, “Greek life takes a lot of time, and they should be proud they can excel academically.”

Cufaude plans to see the BGC, the Panhellenic Council and the IFC “join together and do long-range planning for the greek system as a whole.”

Awards were presented for Most Improved Overall GPA to Alpha Phi sorority and Tau Kappa Epsilon fraternity.

Black organization Delta Sigma Theta earned the highest GPA for the 1986-87 school year.

For the fourth consecutive semester, Delta Phi Epsilon sorority was awarded for an outstanding semester, surpassing the all-sorority, all-greek and all-campus averages for men and women.

Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity was awarded for an outstanding spring 1987 semester with a GPA above the all-fraternity and all-greek average.

The President’s Award for Fraternal Excellence also was awarded to greek chapters. To qualify, chapters are judged on scholarship, sound financial practices, greek relationships and unity. Chapters also are judged on their community/campus relations, pledging success, rush, alumni relations and chapter training and development.

Chapters receiving the award are sororities Alphi Phi, Delta Gamma and Alpha Delta Pi and fraternities Phi Sigma Kappa and Sigma Chi.

Zur presented Official Founding President Brent Allen with a charter plaque for his fraternity Delta Sigma Phi, which has a new home on campus.