Interfaith panel discussion airs tonight

By Moin H. Khan

A seven-member interfaith panel, which met yesterday as part of Unity Through Diversity Week, reached a consensus that religions do not condone discrimination.

The discussion was held at the Wesley Foundation and attracted the largest audience of any unity week event held there so far.

The panel discussion will be aired on TV-8 in the residence halls and in the DeKalb area via Warner Cable. It will be shown Oct. 1 from 9 to 10 p.m. and Oct. 2 from 8 to 9 a.m. and 4 to 5 p.m.

Foundation Director David Schmidt, who represented the Protestant faith, said students on campus come from a wide variety of religions. He said students often are surprised to find a faith other than Christianity and Judaism.

Drew Parlee, representing the Interdenominational study group, said Christ disregarded any cultural and racial boundaries.

Student Rabbi Marla Subeck said the community is the focal point of Judaism because God created diversity in the community.

According to Islam, a religion that appreciates the teachings of Abraham, Moses and Christ, a person’s faith is not complete until he loves his neighbor, Azmi Yahya, adult education doctorate candidate, said.

Sociology Associate Professor Gian Sarup, Hindu Worship Society representative, said tolerance is the only way to increase unity.

Schmidt, who arranged this discussion with the help of Student Housing Assistant Director Stacey Dolby, said peace can only be achieved by understanding the different religious perspectives.

“There is a real concern now surfacing that we enter into more dialogue between various groups,” he said. Christians have already started dialogue with Jews, Muslims and Buddhists, Schmidt said.

Ken Jeffers, administrator of Baha’i Temple of Wilmette, Ill., said the unity of faith can be achieved only through sharing the values of others. Development of this consciousness will help increase global unity.