Greeks aid in fighting budget cut

By Christine Boike

Fraternities and sororities will join other student organizations in events leading up to and including the statewide Day of Action, a response to NIU’s $3.3 million budget reduction.

The Student Committee on Political Action (SCOPA) is organizing those events and the Day of Action on Oct. 21 “to inform and educate students about the attack on education,” SCOPA Chairman Tom Rainey said.

The idea of writing letters to senators and representatives was suggested and “received very well” at the InterFraternity Council meeting on Tuesday, IFC President Tom Zur said at the SCOPA meeting Wednesday night.

Every sorority and fraternity member will be asked to write letters from samples distributed in an organized packet at the meeting.

The packet also includes background information on the fiscal year 1988 budget for higher education and other tactics suggested to help influence the legislature to reconsider the budget cut decision.

The greeks also will be recruiting volunteers for rallies and lobbying at the state capitol in Springfield and the State of Illinois Building in Chicago.

SCOPA is trying to organize a student strike on campus but has not set a date.

Members of the organization are deciding whether the strike should be on Oct. 21, coinciding with the state college and university strikes, or to have NIU’s own strike on a separate day.

Zur said a student strike would not be a good idea if the administration and faculty does not support it because they also have been affected by the budget reduction.

Pi Kappa Alpha member Jon Devens also has asked the band “Green” to play in King Memorial Commons Oct. 15 from noon to 1 p.m. to promote the Day of Action.