Association gives grants

By Lynn Kallal

NIU students majoring in a health field, with a permanent residence in Kane, Kendall, DeKalb, Grundy, LaSalle or Will county might be eligible for one of six $1,000 scholarships.

The American Lung Association of North Central Illinois is offering six scholarships to full-time college students. To be eligible, the student must have completed at least 30 semester hours of college work and have at least a 2.5 GPA, said Margaret Merrill, executive director of the local American Lung Association.

The student also must be majoring in a health-related field, said Nancy Klossing, program director. “The student should have a career direction towards a health field. But this is a very broad category. As long as the applicant is a serious student and shows need, he will be considered,” she said.

According to Klossing, the scope of the health fields include “nursing, pre-medicine, microbiology, physical therapy, respiratory therapy, emergency medical service, pharmacology, medical laboratory and health testing.”

Also included are occupational health, environmental health, rehabilitation, community health, health education, industrial health, hospital or clinical patient education or other health-related fields, Klossing said.

This scholarship can be renewed on an annual registration and evaluation. “If the person who has received the scholarship is making progress towards his career plans, and is in need, he can be reconsidered for the scholarship,” Klossing said.

Selection of the recipient will be based on scholarship, character, dependability, ambition and potential for success in the chosen career, Merrill said. Applications are due August 30 and will be reviewed by a panel of health and community professional members from the association’s board of directors. If needed, personal interviews might be conducted, she said.