Three teachers receive awards

By Louise M. Koryta

Three faculty members from NIU’s journalism, mathematical science and special education departments have been honored as this year’s winners of the Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching Awards.

Of the 14 nominees, Donald Brod, Elliott Lessen and Peter Nicholls were the award winners, who were chosen by a committee representing faculty, students and alumni.

Brod, journalism department professor, said he was very pleased when he learned about the award, which is the top honor for undergraduate teaching. This was Brod’s fifth nomination for the award.

Brod, who earned his doctorate degree from the University of Minnesota, teaches Media Law and History of Journalism and also has taught Mass Media and the Modern Society. He also served as journalism department chairman from 1976 to 1981.

Lessen, Learning Development and Special Education associate professor, said he teaches graduate and doctoral courses, as well as undergraduate courses.

Lessen’s “primary responsibility” is teaching, he said, which makes the award that much more important to him. He said, “It probably is one of the greatest honors I could get.”

Aside from teaching at NIU, Lessen serves as the program coordinator for the DeKalb County Special Education Association in Cortland. He said he has held this position for one semester as a fill-in but might stay on.

Lessen received his bachelor’s degree from Syracuse University with a major in art history and went on to earn his doctorate degree in special education from the University of Florida.

Nicholls, professor of mathematical sciences, has been nominated for the excellence award once before, according to his wife, Trudy. She said he was very excited to win this year.

Both Peter and Trudy Nicholls were born and raised in England. Peter Nicholls received his doctorate degree from Cambridge University and went on to teach at the University of Lancaster in England before coming to NIU in 1971.

Trudy Nicholls said, “We came to Northern Illinois University (from England) because he was offered a job here in the math department.” Nicholls recently was promoted to College of Liberal Arts and Sciences associate dean.

The awards will be presented April 26 at the NIU Honors Day banquet. The Amoco Foundation will provide each winner with a check for $1,500. Committee Chairman Charles Blickhan said this is the last year for the Amoco Foundation award.