Aldermen bid farewell to City Council

By Nancy Broten

With a new session of City Council beginning, two NIU alumni said good-bye Monday to their leadership roles as DeKalb City Council aldermen.

Both Ron Matekaitis and Jay Stein, who served on the City Council as students and representatives of student-inhabited wards, have relinquished their seats on the City Council in order to continue their careers in law.

Matekaitis, who served as first ward alderman, said, “The eight years went by quickly. I’m satisfied and proud of what I’ve been a part of—the ordinances and committees that have benefited my ward and the community as a whole.”

“I enjoyed my time serving the public. If there comes another time when I can again serve the community, I wouldn’t hesitate to get involved,” he said.

Matekaitis and his family will remain in the community for “quite some time” because he has just started his own law practice in DeKalb, he said.

“Matekaitis was one of the finer aldermen I have worked with and also in the history of DeKalb,” Mayor Greg Sparrow said. “Although there was a perception in the community that I always had him right where I wanted him (on certain issues), (Matekaitis) is an independent thinker.”

Stein, who served four years as 7th Ward alderman, described his last City Council meeting as both happy and sad. He said he definitely would get involved in city government again “if the opportunity presents itself.”

“It was a privilege to serve DeKalb residents and particularly the residents of my ward, but, unfortunately, my direct service has come to an end,” Stein said.

Stein said he played an important role in enacting several ordinances which have enhanced the quality of life in DeKalb. One example is the “Age Ordinance,” which prohibited age discrimination toward apartment-hunting students and job-hunting senior citizens.

“Stein did a very good job at providing input for constituents,” Sparrow said.

Sparrow said it was advantageous to have students seated on the City Council representing students. “We are better off as a community, more progressive and more integrated,” he said.

In the April elections, the 1st Ward City Council seat was replaced by NIU student Christine Hoagland and the 7th Ward seat was replaced by Mark Powell.