Future teachers eligible for funds

By Kathy Sisler

Students working toward a math or science teaching certificate might be able to receive funding through the Illinois State Board of Education’s 1987-88 Traineeship Program Award.

Shirley A. Harris, Instructional Improvement program specialist, said the purpose of this program is to increase the number of teachers in mathematics and science for kindergarten through 12th grades. All applicants must agree to pursue course work leading to an Illinois teaching certificate, Harris said.

arris said eligible applicants must have 30 or more semester hours completed. She said the applicant can hold a degree already and can go back to college to receive the teaching certificate.

“The students who win the award will receive $1,000 for their education expenses. The student is responsible for this money,” she said.

Each year a student may reapply for the grant until the Illinois State Board of Education receives copies of the student’s teaching certificate and employment information (a teaching contract), Harris said.

arris said once the students receive the award, they agree not to reject employment in an Illinois elementary or secondary school. The student must teach one-half year in Illinois for each academic year of training received through this grant, she said.

arris said, “There is also a $2,000 fellowship grant for graduate study leading to competency in the education of gifted and talented children.” She said the grant is for 30 credit hours or $70 per credit hour.

“Since 90 percent of the fellowship grant winners are teachers already, they can study part-time,” Harris said. There are 25 traineeship awards and 50 fellowship grants given, with a total amount of $100,000 awarded for both programs, she said.

arris said last year 20 percent of the applicants for the traineeship program received the award. All of the successful students had a GPA of 3.0 or above, she said.

“We give points (to applicants) according to GPA, academic awards or honors, work experience, and then by character references,” Harris said. The character reference tells the judges about the applicant’s potential to be a teacher, she said.

The applications are available at the NIU student financial aid office. The applications must be submitted on or before 5 p.m., June 19. Notification of awards will be made by Sept. 1.