New BSU officers outline objectives

By Ginger Riehle

Pamela Bozeman ran uncontested for her second term as president of Black Student Union and received 92 percent of the 242 total votes during the BSU elections Monday and Tuesday.

Jeff Gordon received 53 percent of the vote, defeating Revelle Johnson for vice president of BSU. Tim Ivy also ran uncontested for treasurer and received 91 percent of the vote. Donnell Thompson was a write-in candidate for secretary and won with 24 percent of the vote.

Bozeman said she would have preferred to run against someone, because even if the opponent did not win, he could still be involved in the BSU. She said she hoped one of the reasons no one ran against her was that she has done a good job in the past.

“The voter turnout wasn’t as good as we would have liked because of the rainy weather. We had it in the Pow Wow, because we wanted to make it a central location, but the rain discouraged voters from coming over to the Student Center,” she said.

Improving recruitment and retention of minority students is one of the programs Bozeman said the BSU will continue to work on. She said the BSU also will be working on the racism campaign at NIU and will continue to work on a network between other campuses.

Ivy said he was unaware of who had won, but after being told he had won, he said he could work well with the new officers.

Ivy said he attempted to run for a BSU office while he was a Resident Assistant, but found out he could not be an RA and work in an office on campus. He said he decided to be an RA first to find out how the system works, and to learn how to break cultural barriers.

“The experience I obtained by working on a floor was a challenge. Now, I will be working on a wider range with the BSU. I’m taking on the challenge. We’re all individuals working for one community,” he said.

The BSU has run into financial problems in the past, but Ivy said he will research the problems, and make them known. He said he wants to get everything out into the open.

“I want to get all organizations under BSU together and promote unity within ourselves. That’s the ultimate goal,” he said. “If we can’t obtain our own status, we can’t give anything to the community.”

e said he wants to get the lines open to inform the Student Association about what’s going on. “It’s going to be work, but I always look forward to a challenge, especially with my own people.”

Thompson was unavailable for comment.