SA might face $40,000 deficit

By Tammy Sholer

The Student Association will have a debt of about $40,000 by the end of this academic year because of its lenient policy toward approving budgets, according to SA Treasurer Lisa Schlepp.

Schlepp said the SA will be in a deficit situation which means some organization’s budgets, which already have been approved, must be cut.

The reason for the possible deficit is because the senate has granted most or all of the requested funds, Schlepp said. “I cannot stress enough the importance of looking at the budgets critically,” she said.

The SA Senate Sunday approved more than $20,000 to several organizations without questioning many of the representatives about the funding requests.

The senators will have to review all the organization’s budgets and make cuts in most of them in order to rise above the deficit mark, Schlepp said.

If the SA still is over-budgeted after all the cuts have been made, SA President Jim Fischer has the option to veto any portion of a budget he believes is not justified, but his power to veto should not be used to cut budgets, Schlepp said. The senate’s approval of the budget cuts will take place at the last senate meeting April 6, she said.

Fischer told the senate, “You are not paying attention to any budgets. You are not being responsible.”

Schlepp said she has made several recommendations on what budgets should be cut, which will be presented to the senate. She also said a survey was distributed to all SA recognized organizations for suggestions to improve the budget process for next year.

“Input is needed from organizations to improve the process,” Schlepp said. The final results from the survey should be collected in about three weeks, she said.

Without asking a single question, the senate passed the Music Performance Activities’ funding request for more than $9,000. Music Performance Activities funds go toward Jazz Ensemble performances and other Jazz Ensemble needs.

The budget included more than $5,000 for music rental, ballroom audio visual charges for jazz ensemble concerts, photos and advertising.

In addition, about $1,600 was approved for recording concerts and for student helpers. The remaining funds of $1,600 went for printing of large ensemble projects, $700 for sheet music purchases and concert materials and $30 for office supplies.

Another budget which emitted little discussion from the senators was for the Black Student Union. The senators did, however, discuss and eliminate $378 requested for travel to a conference in New York because the Minority Graduate Student Association will receive funds for the travel expenses, and the BSU is traveling with the Minority Graduate SA.

The senate then approved about $5,800 for the BSU to purchase office and photography supplies and Lifeline printing, as well as $2,400 to attend three conferences and the respective travel expenses, without asking any questions.

Magazine subscriptions, ads and membership fees cost a total of about $500, the purchase of one light table costs $285 and office supplies cost about $160. The BSU also received $120 for postage fees and about $70 for printing of fliers.

More than $1,000 was allotted to Ars Nova even though the organization’s representative was not questioned by the senate. Phyllis Chiarelli, however, briefly explained that Ars Nova is known for the student art shows displayed in the fall and spring semesters. Ars Nova is trying to open an extra gallery that would display works of art from Chicago so NIU can keep in touch with the art world outside of DeKalb, she said.

From this description, their budget received about $650 for ads and expenses for the student shows and about $160 for printing of fliers. Another $160 went for show supplies and publicity for the shows, $15 for postage and $10 for phone use.

The Black Greek Council got the OK for the entire requested amount, totaling more than $900. The Black Greek Council’s budget received $426 for travel expenses and registration fees to attend the Black Greek National Conference.

This budget also was allotted about $220 for printing of brochures, fliers and posters, about $200 for ads and annual dues, $50 for phone use, $25 for office supplies and $10 for postage.

Funds toward each organization come directly from student activity fees.