Marriott violates past contracts

By Pam Schmidt

If the Marriott Corporation goes through with its threat to vacate Roy Rogers on March 6, it would not be the first time the corporation violated a contract, according to Robert Fredrickson, University Food Services director.

Fredrickson said a Marriott employee told him the corporation vacated Memorial Union, the University of Missouri’s student center, Jan. 9, even though that contract was not completed. “It is not an unknown thing to do for Marriott,” Fredrickson said.

In a letter dated Jan. 26 to NIU Business and Operations Acting Vice President James Harder, the Houston-based corporation stated its intentions to vacate the cafeteria despite its five-year contract with the university.

NIU administrators sent a written reply to Marriott stating if the university is forced into legal action, “we will seek punitive damages due to this egregious breach and bad faith exhibited by the Marriott Corporation.”

If the corporation discontinues service in the cafeteria, University Food Services might provide a “modified service” until other plans can be developed, said William Herrmann, Bond Revenue Operations director, at a committee meeting Tuesday.

Unless there is a cooperative effort between Marriott and NIU, the university will have a “difficult time” providing service to the students, Fredrickson said.

e said the variety of food offered and the amount of service that might be available after spring break will depend on the amount and quality of equipment and the amount of remodeling that must be done.

errmann estimated remodeling costs at about $300,000. This estimate includes possible reconstruction, installation and equipment costs. The $300,000 would be taken out of bond revenue funds, which are paid for by student fees.

owever, Marriott’s contract with NIU states that Marriott must return the area and equipment to its original status when the corporation leaves the area. The University Food Services left most of the equipment to Marriott, and Fredrickson said he is not sure what equipment would be replaced or left behind after March 6. Herrmann said it will take eight months to a year before the university can install any operation permanently.

Negative student reaction also is a concern, Herrmann said. “We’re worried that the expectations will be too great at the beginning, without the students realizing that we have a limited facility, staff and menu to work with,” he said.

There needs to be a long-range plan before the university can open a temporary service, said Jon Dalton, acting vice president for student affairs.

Whatever is done with the area, the university will have to live with some constraints until the problem can be addressed correctly, Fredrickson said. “The total operation is a stronger operation in one person’s hands,” he said.

A food service will make money only if a large number of people use the area, Fredrickson said. “The customer base has eroded as the lifestyles have changed. We need to market the student center to bring back the customers,” he said.

Dalton questioned whether the student center needs to offer another food service or if the Blackhawk Cafeteria is enough. “Other services might bring in students. The key to getting students to use the building is to look at services,” Dalton said.

Changing the space to appeal to commuter students was a concern voiced by Pat Hewitt, president of NIU’s Operating Staff Council.

Student Association Senate Speaker Karen Seymore said, “All the students want is a place where they can go in groups of five to ten people to talk or study.”