Mange fund a dog in sheep’s clothes

Normally, spending money on campus-related items is enough to make students cry. But the NIU Alumni Association is attempting to raise funds for a cause which is utterly laughable.

The association has come to the conclusion our loveable mascot, Victor E. Huskie, is in need of a face lift. And they also have decided the students should pitch in and buy Victor a new outfit. It seems his old one is too “mangy” and could be a source of embarrassment for NIU.

So the association is asking students to contribute money in hopes of buying a new costume for the mascot. They’re pledging to match student contributions dollar for dollar up to $850. If the group can garner $850 from the students, they say other outside contributions probably will be enough so a new $2,500 outfit can be bought.

While this appears to be a noble cause, it also seems to be a silly one.

And unfortunately for the Alumni Association, there probably aren’t too many students out there who are so NIU-gung ho that they would give up any more of their money to the university (either directly or indirectly) if they didn’t have to.

Besides, there are more pressing areas on campus where the money could be more wisely spent.

For example, there is a definite need for a new stadium to house the basketball and other indoor sports teams. It is silly for the basketball team to have to play half of their home games in Rockford. Sure, there are more seats available there, but the support is lacking. And everyone knows how well the Huskies have played at the field house in recent years.

Obviously, $2,500 won’t buy a new stadium or come close to it. But it’s a start—and every little bit helps. And there probably would be more students willing to contribute to a “new stadium fund” than would want to buy a new costume for the school mascot.

While some schools might be known, in part, for their mascots, NIU is not. When people think of NIU, Victor E.‘s costume is not the first thought that comes to mind. So it’s unlikely Victor’s mange is a key thought on the minds of students who would prefer spending money on more important things.

If the mascot looks bad, maybe a new costume is in order. But students shouldn’t be asked to pay for it.