Board seeks new Huskie Bus riders

By Paul Wagner

The Student Association Mass Transit Board is trying to boost the number of Huskie Bus riders, especially DeKalb residents, in hopes of improving relations with DeKalb’s City Council and eliminating the need to raise student fees.

Ideas to increase bus use include the use of a new slogan for the bus line. Todd Lipscomb, board chairman, said SA Public Relations Adviser Cameron Davis suggested “Hop a Huskie” as a slogan. If the board agrees on this slogan, it might be used on a sign posted on the back of some buses.

Another idea is to run a “Saturday special” consisting of an extra run of the #7 bus. The bus, which runs to Jewel, K-mart, and Wal-mart, all located on Sycamore Road, would leave every 20 minutes instead of every 40 minutes.

obin Snyder, board member, suggested the “Saturday special” bus turn back at Kishwaukee Community Hospital to shorten the route even more. The board probably will make a decision on the new route within the next few weeks.

Jennifer Hampson, another board member, said townspeople might not be riding the buses because they do not know the schedules. She suggested maps be placed near the stops in town. She also recommended distributing maps at nursing homes in the area.

Another suggestion was to send thank-you letters to people who have bought bus passes in the past. Board member David Emerick said the board could obtain more names by sponsoring a contest and giving away a free bus pass. Letters could be sent to those who entered the contest.

Board member John Pinkowski cautioned the board against going overboard on the ridership ideas. “We should look at how many people from the city will ride the buses. Many have cars (and would not ride a bus),” he said.

The board also heard two complaints from student riders. Board member Kurt Hauseman brought up concerns of overcrowding of the #3 bus routes in the morning, and board member Phil Kessler brought up complaints by students who use the #4 bus that the buses follow each other during peak hours.