The Best Places to Hang Off Campus

By Ashley Hines

Most NIU students live in DeKalb or in surrounding areas of the town. There’s a decent amount of things to do on campus, but what about off campus? That’s where students need to look to spice up their hangout sessions.

My favorite place to go is Common Grounds, which is a small coffee shop in the downtown area of DeKalb. Students can either walk or take the bus there. It has some of the best coffee I have ever had, and the coffee grounds are locally sourced and crafted into Jeff’s (the owner) own recipes. The shop also sells book and uses a portion of the money as a donation to stop human trafficking. If you buy a book, feel good because your money is going toward a great cause, which is to help stop human trafficking and to bring many loved ones who have been involved home.

via GIPHY

The next place is China House. This hibachi buffet is an amazing place for all-you-can-eat for only $12, depending on the time of day and meal. At this hibachi buffet, you can find a variety of food, including sushi. Another plus is that it’s not too far from campus. If you are one who craves hibachi food, this is the place for you because of the good prices and good tasting food. Bring your friends or significant other and enjoy feasting on food until you can’t eat anymore!

via GIPHY

The last but not least is Mardi Gras Lanes. You guessed it, it’s bowling. This place is awesome because who doesn’t love to bowl? It’s the perfect spot to hang out with your roommates and eat some pizza with your best buds. Mardi Gras Lanes is located at 1730 Sycamore Road. Go ahead and knock down those pins this coming Friday with your pals!

via GIPHY

To be honest, you will most likely find me at these places throughout the semester just because of how much I love to hang at them. Hanging out on campus is fun, don’t get me wrong, but finding and exploring places off campus is an adventure! It makes the college experience exactly that: an experience. So go and experience these places for yourselves; I’m sure you’ll love it.