Egyptian screens Oscar winners

By Victoria Kosuth

DeKALB — The Egyptian Theatre, 135 N. Second St., brings some of the biggest Oscar winners in history to the big screen with their Best Picture film series running 7 p.m. every Tuesday.

The series presents best pictures from the 1930s to present day and offers students a chance to experience films on the big screen they may have missed, including classics such as “Casablanca,” “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest” and “Forrest Gump.”

The series aims to explore film through the decades and gives students a chance to learn more about the time period each film was awarded its Oscar.

Jeanine Holcomb, marketing communications director at the Egyptian Theatre, said the series is not new to the theater. She said the popularity of the series keeps it going as students journey through decades of film.

“The films are so classic, and it’s different to see them on the big screen,” Holcomb said. “So that is why we decided to revisit the series.”

The series is continuing on with Barry Levinson’s film “Rain Man” playing Tuesday. “Rain Man” won the 1988 Best Picture award and communication professor Matthew Swan said he loves that it features an incredible cast starring Dustin Hofffman and Tom Cruise. Making a full timeline run, the series will end with 2017’s Best Picture, “Moonlight,” playing March 6. Swan said while these films premiered decades apart, they both demonstrate the cohesive and creative nature of film.

“It gives a wide variety for students who have gone [to see] a majority of films,” Swan said. “I like how it reflects the state of America at the time.”

Swan said these films talk about social issues that took place during each era of American history, making them relevant and important to the student body. Whether it be about self-discovery and mental health like the film “A Beautiful Mind,” the 2002 Best Picture winner, or sexuality, which is explored in “Moonlight,” these movies show the development of film, as well as humanity.

Communication major David Hilliard said watching films at the Egyptian Theater has helped him in studying film and is a big part of his education. He said seeing the films is much different than just talking about them in a classroom.

“I think it’s informative,” Hilliard said. “It’s good for someone who is going into film [to attend the series]. It is a good learning experience.”