Chandler Kinley Q-&-A

By Khobi Price

DeKALB — One year after winning the Mid-American Conference Championship, the volleyball team is experiencing their worst season since Head Coach Ray Gooden took over the program in 2002.

Despite its rough start to the season, the team is 3-3 to begin conference and senior setter Chandler Kinley remains optimistic about how the volleyball team will perform for the rest of the season.

Q: You guys had a tough schedule to start the season. What do you tell yourself and the team to avoid becoming too discouraged by the unfavorable outcomes?

A: I think it’s important to look at a tough schedule in a positive way. We’ve played many top-25 teams and teams that made it into the NCAA tournament last season. So, knowing that we’re competing against those teams even though we’re not getting the outcome that we always want, is always a win. We’re learning to play at a level that some people aren’t asked to with as tough of a schedule we have had. In the long run, it will help us but right now I think looking at our record it looks a little bit crappy from the outside.

Q: How does it feel to go from a mostly veteran led team to a young team with six freshmen?

A: We knew going into the season that we were going to have a bunch of freshmen and a bunch of freshmen that are playing, which is also different. But, having a veteran team or a young team, for us, shouldn’t be, and we don’t let it be such a factor on the court. We like to look at everyone as pretty level and whoever’s playing that we’re playing, but it has allowed for the three seniors, me, Anna [Brereton] and Taylor [Krage] to try to step us as veterans and lead the charge.

Q: Given that you guys were an experienced team last year, was leadership something that you always exuded, or is it something that you had to learn for this year?

A: Personally for my position as a setter, I’ve taken on the leadership role most [of] every season I’ve been setting. As a setter, you kind of have to take [on] leadership, especially [of] the entire court. Having that under my belt, being a senior isn’t as different. I just have to have more control of the entire group.

Q: As a leader how do you approach having a losing record? Is it something the team thinks about, or is it just more about improving overall?

A: As a team, we like to help it keep us hungry. I mean, nobody wants a losing record on a season, but it’s not something we’re easily giving in to. We’re still working hard to get wins when we can, [and] we’re still working hard to finish the season strong. So, it’s something we look for.

Q: Are there any young players that you take under your wing and show them how the role of being a student-athlete works?

A: Not setters, because Sam [Boever] is obviously a sophomore, and she’s been here for over a season now. Not position wise, but I think just as seniors we do a really good job taking the freshmen in and making them feel comfortable outside of volleyball, especially. That’s one thing our program is really focused on.

Q: What do you tell younger players about the importance of conference play?

A: We actually had this conversation the other day just of how important conference games are. So, you get into conference and you can lose a game, and it’s going to have an immediate effect on your conference record. So, conference games are always super important so we try to stress that to them, and we have to understand that when we go into a conference match the outcome is a lot more important than preseason games.

Q: Your assists numbers have improved considerably from the start of the season. How does it feel to be able to get your teammates involved and put them in positions where they can be most successful?

A: Our Bowling Green match [Sept. 23] was super exciting. We didn’t walk away with a win, but I think we learned a lot, especially Kaylee [Martin] in the front row. At one point in time, I think that she was just kill for kill, like five [or] six in a row. So, having her and getting her the experience she needs has been super important. But, also just all the hitters all the way around, whenever they get the ball they were putting it away, the passers were getting it up so I could accept the balls to the hitters. All-in-all, it worked well as a system against Bowling Green even though we didn’t get a win.

Q: What should people expect from the volleyball team for the rest of the season?

A: We’re still working hard. I think going into practice every day with a positive mindset to get better, so that’s one thing that we’re working on.