Alumn encourages students with music

Alumni Matt Muse and others performed their musical talents Thursday in the Holmes Student Center skyroom.

By Melynda Lewis

DeKALB | Alumn Matt Muse recently released his album, “The SiKK Tape” which deals with standing up for what is important and persisting through tough times.

The sound of Chicago-based music and inspiration flooded the Holmes Student Center Thursday night as Muse continued his “SiKK Tour.”

NIU was the second stop of “The SiKK Tour” and was full performances by other Chicago-based artists such as Sterl Christopher and Ron Parks.

Messi Muse, Matt’s brother, also performed a song at the event and said he produces his own beats. Ron Parks followed and performed his original song, “Sorry,” which shared a deep message about his dreams and passion.

Senior engineering major Sterl Christopher also got a chance to perform at the event and brought a nostalgic feeling to the night as he remixed old songs.

Matt Muse was the final performer of the night and grasped the attention of the audience with his songs and story. He performed all of his new album, “The SiKK Tape,” and explained the story behind his album along the way.

“It was very surprising,” said freshman nursing major Salaam Armistead. “I appreciated the positive feedback they gave students who are struggling with their dreams [and was] very glad to hear a real rapper. They had vibes like J. Cole and Chance The Rapper wrapped in one.”