SA Senate approves Campus Live Radio

By Xavier Ortega

DeKALB | Campus Live Radio was founded in 2011 by four students inside of dorm room closet in Neptune Residence Hall, and despite its meager beginning, the show now reaches about 200 to 300 listeners per show.

The organization produces a radio and talk show hosted by students that features NIU news, gossip, advice and local music, all of which is available through an app called “Listen2MyRadio” said Mary Gentry, Campus Live Radio president and senior film major, during a SA Senate meeting 5 p.m. Sunday in the Holmes Student Center, Sky Room.

Campus Live Radio hopes to reach out to unknown musicians on campus now that it has been recognized as an organization by the Student Association Senate, Gentry said“We have announcements, interviews and music breaks,” Gentry said. “On Wednesdays, we play unknown artists, and on Thursdays, we play throwback songs.”

Gentry said the organization also has a Periscope account, which is a video streaming app that allows people to share a video link on Twitter.

Through Periscope, Campus Live Radio hosts go around campus and video chat with students so their voices and opinions can be heard through the radio show.

“I really love this idea,” said Jack Barth, SA senator and sergeant-at-arms. “Campus Live Radio is doing great; keep doing what you guys are doing.”

Students interested in becoming a radio host or submitting music and interview requests can email [email protected] or follow the organization’s social media accounts @CampusLiveNIU.

Public Affairs

Lark Lewis, SA director of public affairs, has been working on increasing followers for SA’s social media accounts.

“Through Twitter, we average about 213 impressions a day, and one of our tweets about the game day shuttle had 2,500 impressions,” Lewis said. “That’s around the number of how many people see our tweets.”

One of Lewis’ goals is to have more student-affiliated posts. She aims to post more photos and updates about events happening around campus to get students more interested and involved.

“On Instagram, we average about 35 likes per picture,” Lewis said. “Other than social media updates, I have been working with [SA] Senate to promote all campus events such as the voting drives and the last home volleyball game.”

Senator at large

Junior finance major DeNiro Torrence was appointed senator at large.

DeNiro believes there are many activities NIU has to offer and aims to get more students involved by being a member of the SA Senate.

SA senators review activities, business, executive action that spends student fee money and policy affecting students, according to the SA Bylaws.