Stories inspire ink

Liz Houk, sophomore psychology and sociology double major, has a tattoo of an anchor because love “keeps her anchored.” 

By Jesse Baalman

DeKALB | Many students exhibit art in the form of tattoos on their body. Of these students, here a few who have a deeper meaning for their pieces than people might think.

Liz Houk

Sophomore psychology and sociology double major

A former swimmer, Houk resonates with her tattoo because love “keeps her anchored.” She has an anchor on her upper shoulder, below her neck. Her tattoo was done last year at DeKalb Tattoo Company, 817 W. Lincoln Highway. Houk said she sees tattoos as a way to always exhibit art. When asked about the feeling of getting a tattoo done, she admit how bad it hurt.

“Beauty is pain,” Houk said.

She had always wanted to get one because of her rebellious childhood and because of her path to self-empowerment.

Ariel Ojeda

Sophomore art history major

Ojeda has tattoos on both of her arms: a knife and a raven skull. She got one of her tattoos at the DeKalb Tattoo Company. Her tattoo of a ghost faces knife is inspired by Wes Craven’s “Scream” film and was done during the month of his death last October.

“My knife comes from my love of Wes Craven movies during my childhood,” Ojeda said.

The other artwork is influenced by her love of Edgar Allen Poe.

Brendan Wagner

Freshman accountancy major

Wanger has a tree and five birds covering a portion of his arm. The birds represent his parents, his older and younger brother and himself. His mom got a similar tattoo with three birds representing her sons. He plans on getting more in the future because he said tattoos are a good way to make a body more artistic and individualized.

Kailey Oboikovitz

Freshman, major undecided

Oboikovitz has two tattoos that symbolize very important events in her life. Both her tattoos were done at Dekalb Tattoo Company in September. Her first is “February 7, 2010” in roman numerals.

“This date means a lot to me because it is the day that my mom passed away,” Oboikovitz said of one of her roman numeral tattoos. “I have it on my arm to remember to stay strong always.”

Her second tattoo is the National Eating Disorders Association symbol. Oboikovitz has been recovering from an eating disorder since she was a freshman in high school.

“I’ve seen people from eating disorders, so I thought this was a good way to keep overcoming it,” Oboikoitz said.