Student wins prizes from scavenger hunt

By Leah Nicolini

DeKALB | After five hours of hunting, feelings of frustration overwhelmed sophomore business major Luke Graham as he searched for a hand-sized medallion.

Graham felt certain he’d be the one to find it after inadvertently practicing for this occasion with his roommate Dylan by hiding items around the house for Dylan to find.

The Northern Star hid a medallion Sept. 26 in a tree near Founders Memorial Library and opened a five-day scavenger hunt for students to find the item, releasing a clue to track the location each day.

“Ready for the second Northern Star Scavenger Hunt? ,” read the first clue released Sept. 26. “Don’t expect our clues to be very blunt. I’m not underground – don’t dig up the dirt. Follow the rules, I must reassert. I’m on university grounds. Golf courses and rivers are out of bounds.”

After reading the first clue, Graham thought to check near Barsema Hall and searched for two hours for the item in trees and bushes.

“Last year it was in a tree, so [I thought] ‘maybe it’s in a tree again’. ” Graham said.

The next day, Graham took a break from a week full of exams and looked outside Cole Hall for an hour with no luck.

On his third day of the scavenger hunt, Graham continued to look around Cole Hall.

Then, out of the corner of his eye, Graham spotted a glare coming from a tree. Upon closer inspection, he realized it was the medallion.

Graham won prizes such as lawn chairs, restaurant gift cards and Huskie gear.

“I’ve always been [intense], and if I’m not [going to] win [something], I don’t do it,” Graham said.

The Northern Star Scavenger Hunt will return next semester. Next semester’s clues will be posted on the Northern Star’s Facebook and Twitter.