Alliance members nominate officials

By Nicole Scott

DeKALB | United Faculty Alliance members elected Virginia Naples, professor of biological sciences, as union president and Rosemary Feurer, associate professor of history, as vice president.

Union officials announced the results of the election of officers to the Interim Executive Board Oct. 28.

The union, which was certified in June, represents tenure and tenure-track faculty members. It is affiliated with the Illinois Federation of Teachers.

Now that officials have been elected, union members are planning on beginning contract negotiations, during which they hope to address salaries and working conditions. Arrangements are going to be made with administrators to determine the official date negotiations will begin.

“I would like to serve in this capacity because I want to empower us, the tenured and tenure-track faculty, to participate in choosing the direction in which our university will go in the future,” Naples said in a statement on the union’s website.

The union held elections of officers Oct. 26 and 27. Voting booths were open to union members only. However, the election committee had union registration cards available for tenure-track and tenured faculty to join and place their vote the same day.

“This is all about making NIU a better place for faculty and students,” said Andy Bruno, assistant professor of history and United Faculty Alliance Election Committee member.