Art Walk to feature students’ work

By Samantha Malone

Anna-Marie Zurlinden, first year graduate student, spent hours examining ancient textiles and the movement of water to inspire the artwork she will be showing in DeKalb’s first annual Art Walk.

The DeKalb Area Arts Council is hosting the event on Oct. 6 to celebrate culture and community in the DeKalb area.

“This is a way to show my work and make contacts with the community,” Zurlinden said. “It’s a good way to learn the nuts and bolts like networking and preparing art for a show.”

Billie Giese, art and design associate professor, was selected to organize and run this year’s event alongside Alex Nerad, president of the DeKalb Area Arts Council. Giese has been planning the event since May and hopes to achieve several things upon its arrival.

“I was asked to head a committee exploring and organizing an Art Walk that would unite or combine our communities of DeKalb and NIU,” Giese said.

Giese said the event plans to achieve this by bringing student artists and musicians, including Zurlinden, to DeKalb venues to showcase their talents to the community surrounding them. Several venues across DeKalb will be open to showcase student and local art. Art showcasing will take place 5 to 8 p.m. which will extend the regular business hours of some venues.

The restaurant Tapa La Luna, 226 E. Lincoln Highway, will participate by showing the work of Zurlinden.

“What I really wanted to do was connect with the artists, to make them feel welcome at Tapa Luna,” said Nancy Proesel, owner of Tapa La Luna.

After the art showcase, the event will take a musical turn. The NIU Jazz Orchestra will perform “Art of Swing” under the direction of Music Professor Reggie Thomas at 8 p.m. in the Egyptian Theatre, 135 N. Second Street.

Giese is working on negotiating with the NIU Steel Band hoping to showcase its talent in the theatre.

“The Egyptian [Theatre] is such a landmark, and it’s such a unique and historical piece of architecture. That’s truly amazing that we have that here,” Giese said.

The concert will cost $15 for adults and $10 for children and seniors, but Giese said it will have the atmosphere of a party. She said she hopes people will come to dance, sing and embrace the culture surrounding them.

“If you have a class on Thursday night, maybe this is the class you say ‘we’re all going to Art Walk,’” Giese said. “There’s no reason why any student should just sit at home in their [residence hall] or just study. You need breaks and this [would] be a splendid night to come out and celebrate with everybody.”