Tom Porten, head coach men’s golf

Porten said the actions are a proactive step by the MAC and that it promotes a clear separation between a student’s athletic time and other obligations. Porten said coaches are in the business of coaching student athletes and that they always want what is best for the athletes.“I think it’s great that our conference is taking a lead in the issue and some coaches may like it, some may not. It is just part of the process and it just requires coaches to be able to manage time differently. I think it’s good for the student athlete to have a role and a say in the matters that affect them and it teaches them about a lot of good life skills that they will need when they graduate. I think this is all centered on making the student experience better. Anytime the MAC can take the lead on something like this, I’m in favor of a proactive step like this.”

By NIU Athletics

Porten said the actions are a proactive step by the MAC and that it promotes a clear separation between a student’s athletic time and other obligations. Porten said coaches are in the business of coaching student athletes and that they always want what is best for the athletes.

“I think it’s great that our conference is taking a lead in the issue and some coaches may like it, some may not. It is just part of the process and it just requires coaches to be able to manage time differently. I think it’s good for the student athlete to have a role and a say in the matters that affect them and it teaches them about a lot of good life skills that they will need when they graduate. I think this is all centered on making the student experience better. Anytime the MAC can take the lead on something like this, I’m in favor of a proactive step like this.”