Victors Awards Predictions

Head Coach Christina Sutcliffe coaches from third base during the Huskie’s game against the Western Michigan Broncos on April 15.

By Jay Ibarra

Student athletes will gather to celebrate their accomplishments from the season at the seventh annual Victors Awards.

The Victors Awards is an event to honor NIU student athletes, coaches and teams. The ceremony will take place at 7 p.m. tonight at the Egyptian Theatre. Doors open at 6 p.m. and the show will be hosted by Andy Garcia, Huskies radio broadcast team member.

The awards will be based on both the 2015 spring and fall and 2015-2016 winter seasons. 20 different awards will be handed out, including the fans choice award, “Play of the Year.” This category represents a student who had the top play of the season.

Play of the Year

Junior forward Cassidy Glenn is my prediction to win play of the year for her outstanding buzzer beating three against Buffalo University. With 0.8 seconds left, Glenn took the final shot at top of key on a pass from teammate freshman guard/forward Courtney Woods, ending the game 76-74. Fans went wild and the Huskies surrounded Glenn in cheers– the game ended a seven-game losing streak and this moment was memorable and will likely win play of the year.

Coach of the Year (Men’s Team)

Mark Montgomery,men’s basketball head coach, led the team to finish its season with a record of 21-13, making this tied for second most wins in NIU’s history for men’s basketball. Montgomery’s drive to break school records and coach his men through the season, really sets him apart from the other nominees making him my prediction to win men’s coach of the year.

Coach of the Year (Women’s Team)

Softball head coach Christina Sutcliffe set records for the spring 2015 season, earning three of the team members’ first All-MAC honors and two more freshman Huskies to the league’s All Freshman team. Women’s softball finished the season 28-25, with an 11-9 league record. Sutcliffe’s dedication to pushing her girls to set personal records and achieving a winning season sets her apart from the nominees in this category. Sutcliffe is my prediction for the women’s coach of the year.

Athlete of the Year (Male)

Sophomore cornerback Shawun Lurry set the NIU single season and career records for interception return yards in 2015, making him my favored prediction for Athlete of the Year. Lurry ended his season leading the Football Bowl Subdivision in interceptions with nine and in interception return yards with 273. He completed this past season by being named first team 2015 AutoNation FWAA All-American by the Football Writer’s Association of America, making him the second player to be chosen for the All-America team since 1944. Making All-American as a sophomore is a huge career mark for Lurry, his season accomplishments should earn him male athlete of the year.

Athlete of the Year (Female)

This was a hard prediction, all of the nominees set outstanding records during their season, but junior infielder Kayti Grable not only set a new NIU-single season record with 15 home runs, she was named First Team All-MAC and helped lead her team to a winning season. Grable’s ability to lead her team, opening the season in a 16-game hitting streak and closing the season ranked in the top 75 nationally in home runs, on-base percentage and slugging percentage, sets her apart from the other nominees. She’s my prediction to win this award because she sets high records for herself every season while leading her team at the same time.

Follow us on twitter at @NSScene during the show for live updates of the entire evening, including all-category award wins.