Opinion: TCF Bank drops partnership with NIU, creates opportunities for students

By Faith Mellenthin

TCF Bank is closing its partnership with NIU, but this may create a new space in the Holmes Student Center and give students a chance to explore banking options that might suit them better.

TCF sent a letter and email on April 4 to all of its current customers announcing the location will close June 30.

Many students use TCF Bank, and it is noted in the email their accounts can still be accessed in the Jewel-Osco TCF Bank location, 1320 Sycamore Road. Students can get to the location by riding the NIU Route 7 Bus.

“It impacts underclassmen more because most of them don’t have cars,” said Obakayin Akinfosile , junior biology and pre-med major.

However, nowadays people are able to manage their money online or via mobile apps. TCF Bank allows its account holders to transfer money and view bank statements via their mobile app. Some banks other than TCF allow people to deposit checks via mobile phones. Also, ATMs are the quickest way to handle a need for cash withdrawals so long as the ATM comes from the bank a student has their account with.

“TCF has pulled out from several institutions. They made the decision to leave,” said Lawrence Pinkelton, associate vice president for Finance and Budget in NIU’s Division of Administration and Finance.

Many people I know, myself included, only opened a bank account with TCF because of how it was promoted during orientation and the free NIU sweatshirt that came with opening an account. Pinkelton said branch presence is no longer as in demand. Based on this, it might be possible that the branch location in the Holmes Student Center did not receive enough walk-in business for it to be a necessity.

In its letter, TCF Bank also informed account holders their OneCards would no longer be linked to their accounts and therefore will not function as a debit card as of June 30. However, those who have their OneCards linked to a TCF account can still use the Huskie Bucks system or an actual debit card from TCF Bank.

Kelly Wesener-Michael, associate vice president for Student Affairs, who also plays a part in the future renovation of the Holmes Student Center, said TCF Bank’s closing is a good opportunity to reassess the needs of the campus population. Being that a bank branch is not in high demand on campus, the space that TCF used to take up could be revamped to include ATMs from multiple banks rather than affiliating NIU with just one branch.

Perhaps now that the partnership has ended, students and faculty will have a chance to pick a bank that fits their personal needs rather than one that was promoted to them during orientation. I am excited for the change and think there is a better way to provide banking on campus; perhaps other banks can promote themselves closer to NIU now. TCF closing may be inconvenient for the time being; however, it is allowing the university to open new opportunities for business in the Holmes Student Center.