16 laws to follow for 2016

By Northern Star staff

Illinois passed 237 new laws that went into effect as of Jan. 1. Here are 16 laws that may affect the DeKalb community:

1. Protect pets from the cold

Beware DeKalb and Sycamore pet owners, all Illinois residents can now be charged with a misdemeanor for leaving their pets in extreme weather conditions. Owners could also be charged with a $2,500 fine or spend up to a year in jail following a conviction.

2. Underage drinking immunity granted

Illinois is now granting immunity from prosecution if one must call 911 for help related to underage drinking. The bill provides legal protection for the caller as well as the one seeking medical attention.

3. Slow down

Illinois traffic tickets will now cost an additional $5 in order to help police departments pay for body cameras and other necessary equipment.

4. You drink again, you drive again, you lose … DOUBLE

People convicted of a second DUI will be required to use a Breath Alcoholic Ignition Interlock Device in their vehicle. They will also be required to have a restricted driving permit for five years. If you are ever in need of driving assistance after a late night, NIU offers the Huskie Safe Line that operates from 11 p.m. to 5:30 a.m.

5. Look out, commuters

If you are speeding 26 mph or more in excess to the posted speed in a construction, maintenance or school speed zone, you will now face aggravated speeding offenses.

6. Don’t fake a 911 call

Download an app, give your phone to a friend or be extra cautious because Illinois can now charge you up to $10,000 for any calls resulting in emergency response without reasonable grounds.

7. Keep an eye on grandma

Families and residents in nursing homes will now be allowed to use recording devices and cameras to monitor activity in their loved ones’ rooms.

8. Beware, farmers

It is now illegal to buy, sell or plant honeysuckle, olive, salt cedar, poison hemlock, oriental bittersweet, teasel, knotweed or giant hog weed because they have been added to the Exotic Weed Act.

9. Check your lease

Within 30 days after the end of each 12-month rental period, landlords must pay any lessee all interest accumulated to an amount of $5 or more. Unless the lessee is in default under the terms of the lease.

10. Gender identity protection

Gender identity protection provides that the written directions a person leaves regarding disposition of that person’s remains may include instructions regarding gender identity including, but not limited to, instructions with respect to appearance, chosen name and gender pronouns, regardless of whether the person has obtained a court-ordered name change, changed the gender marker on any identification document or undergone any transition-related medical treatment.

11. Powder alcohol ban

Yes, alcohol in the form of powder is real… and now illegal in the state. The new law bans the sale of products consisting or containing it. Violating this law creates a Class A misdemeanor and a Class 4 felony for multiple violations.

12. Same-sex hate crime definition

A new law changes the definition of sexual orientation in the hate crime statute, the institutional vandalism statute and the statute concerning aggravating factors in sentencing to the definition used in the Illinois Human Rights Act. The law amends the offense of institutional vandalism by replacing the term “sexual orientation” with “ancestry, gender, sexual orientation” and “physical or mental disability.”

13. Covering up the crime

People in Illinois can now seal their criminal records if they earned a high school diploma, associate’s degree, vocational technical certification, bachelor’s degree or GED during the period of their sentence or mandatory supervised release to petition for early sealing of the record prior to the applicable waiting period.

14. Civics course requirements

Of the required two years of social studies, at least one semester must be civics. The civics course shall focus on government institutions, controversial issues, service learning and the democratic process. School districts may utilize private funding available for the purposes of offering civics education.

15. Same performance standards

It is now illegal for the Illinois State Board of Education from establishing different performance standards based on race or ethnicity.

16. Student transfer achievement

The Student Transfer Achievement Reform Act will allow a community college student to be eligible for transfer into a baccalaureate program of an Illinois public university, with junior status, if the student meets certain requirements.