SA kicks off It’s On Us Week of Action

By Ashley Morse

Students signed a banner in support of It’s On Us and painted their pinky nails pink in support of sexual assault and violence survivors during the Student Association’s Demonstration Day.

Demonstration Day, held Tuesday in the Holmes Student Center, was a part of the It’s On Us National Week of Action. The It’s On Us campaign started in 2014 by President Barack Obama to help prevent sexual assault on college campuses and “give a charge to college students in helping stop it,” said SA President Nathan Lupstein.

“One in five women experience sexual assault, and one in 16 men experience sexual assault,” Lupstein said.

The SA took part in the campaign last year, and it was a great success, said Ari Owens, SA director of Public Affairs. Since its introduction, Owens said there has been an increase of people speaking up about their assaults.

Reports of sexual offenses at NIU have increased in the last five years — six in 2011, 11 in 2012, 12 in 2013 and 15 in 2014, according to NIU’s 2015-2016 Annual Safety And Security Report.

The event was originally planned to be held in the Martin Luther King Jr. Commons, but was moved to the Diversions Lounge due to inclement weather. The SA went around to various student organizations on campus to have them sign the banner that read “It’s On Us” and take a photo with it.

Lupstein said the It’s On Us campaign needs to be sustained.

The Week of Action continued Wednesday, with the Survivors Find Freedom event in the Holmes Student Center, Heritage Room, where a silent gallery full of stories of NIU sexual assault survivors marked the walls.

“To see people walk through this gallery and that [sexual assault survivors] are NIU students and this has happened here, it’s just really powerful,” Owens said.