District 1 Student Association Senators

Senator Adolfo Sto. Domingo

By Northern Star staff

Senator Adolfo Sto. Domingo

Sophomore accountancy major

What is an issue on campus you’d like to address this semester?

“More unity in student organizations. I’m very involved with some student organizations, most of them pertaining to the Asian American Resource Center. What I’ve noticed is that student organizations are more kind of on their own. They try advertising to all NIU students, but I feel they need … the SA to get involved and try to get their student organizations — all of their events and any programs that they have — advertised for them just so we have more organizations. … Just there’s more communication among all the student organizations.”

How has your involvement prepared you to serve on the SA Senate?

“Both of my student organizations I was involved in, the Philippine Student Association and the Asian American Association, I started off as a general member, but then I realized being on Senate last year I can have more of an impact … with that I took on the treasurer position for both organizations. … I feel like I have more of a say in like what the student body wants in terms of the Asian demographic.

Senator Johnathan Arnold

Senior physical therapy major

“One of the main issues I do want to address is … it seems to be a lot of organizations on campus that their voices aren’t necessarily heard in this room, and I want to bring their voices out. So I’m trying to communicate with those organizations, myself and a couple of other senators. … We’re just trying to make sure we get their voices heard. Any issues that they feel like they’re having, we want to bring their issues here and let everyone else know.”

“Actually last year, I wanted to be on Senate, but I guess I didn’t have the confidence in myself. So what I did was I just came basically to meetings every week and just sat in the back and just observed how they run the meetings, how I guess you just present yourself as a senator. So I just wanted to make sure I presented myself as best I could.”

Senator Karlos Lugo

Sophomore business administration major

“More diversity. I know that there’s going to be a lot of problems with the budget, and I think it’s important that we still have diversity when those budget cuts — if they do — happen, that we maintain that diversity in the campus.”

“I created my own organization back at my high school, I’m currently secretary for S.O.L., Supporting Opportunity for Latinos. … So I just want to get more involved and get to know how the whole [SA] Senate and the whole Student Association works, get familiar with this so I can make an impact.”

District 1 Senators Jordan Clayton-Taylor, Chrstine Wang and Corey Richier were not present at the Sunday SA Senate meeting.