Weekend Guide: Oct. 1

By Northern Star staff

Northern Star staff

Dont let the autumn breeze keep you from exploring DeKalb this weekend.

Today

Alpha Sigma Omega Latina sorority will sponsor the 10th annual Kermes celebration at 7 p.m. at the Latino Resource Center. Kermes is an event aimed to educate about and celebrate Latino culture through food and games.

Stop by Ellington’s for a three course meal at 11 a.m. in the Holmes Student Center. Reservations are strongly encouraged. Entrees will include a grilled portabella mushroom and a red berry harissa salmon, each served with creamy polenta, swiss chard and caramelized onion.

Friday

NIU student Tremel J will debut his vocals at 8 p.m. at the House Cafe, 263 E. Lincoln Highway. The show will include songs from Tremel’s album “Moving On,” which is available on iTunes. Jazz band Soul Injection will also perform.

Watch NIU dance teams go head to head with dance teams from Chicago in Phi Beta Sigma’s “Phlip Da Script.” The competition will begin at 7 p.m. in the Holmes Student Center, Carl Sandburg Auditorium.

Saturday

There’s no better way to come together and celebrate diversity on campus than with Unity Walk. The walk will begin at 6 p.m. at the School of Nursing, 1240 Normal Road. The event is held to benefit and celebrate the different racial backgrounds at NIU.

Get your tickets for Phi Rho Eta Fraternity’s annual Convo Party from the Convo while they’re hot. The Convo Party, one of the biggest of the semester, will be held at 11 p.m. in the NIU Convocation center, 1525 W. Lincoln Highway.