Students learn interview apparel

By Carlos Galvez

From bow ties to blazers, students learned how to dress for success from LGBT and Women’s Resource Center volunteers.

A Dress for Success presentation Wednesday taught attendees how to dress appropriately for job interviews.

This semester, the LGBT and Women’s Resource centers combined to provide students with programs to help them achieve their academic and professional goals.

Carrie Williams, assistant director of the LGBT and Women’s Resource centers, said the goal of Dress for Success was to inform students.

“We wanted to give students tips on how to dress to an interview. Not a lot of them know how to,” Williams said.

Students also learned tips for dealing with job interviews, like giving an “elevator pitch,” where a person prepares a short statement that describes their background and experience.

“I saw the ad by my dorm and thought it was interesting. I want to try and look professional when I go in for a job interview,” said Victoria Flores, junior nutrition science major.

Some attendees volunteered to model the professional apparel.

“I volunteered because I thought it’d be great and fun to help,” said Cherifat Nolla, senior political science major.

Samantha Newman, a graduate assistant for the centers, said she hopes the attendants learned some tips for the upcoming job fairs.

“I came for the information; I thought it was helpful. I like how they talked about the elevator pitch,” said Jorge Villalobos, junior environment geoscience major.

The Internship Fair is 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Tuesday and the Full-time Job Fair 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Convocation Center.