Stay focused for end of semester

By Kim Randall

With only one more month left to survive the headache that is school, there are a few things you should keep in mind for getting out alive.

Remember to avoid procrastination, keep track of what you need to turn in and always work with a positive attitude. By the time finals come, it’ll make a big difference.

Instead of waiting until the last moment to start looking at those long study guides and begin cramming, start early. Well, start now. Getting a head start will make your life much easier come finals week because you’ll be able to set aside time for each class to study.

“Students should start projects as early as possible so that they aren’t left scrambling last minute,” said English professor Scott Balcerzak.

By the time December rolls around, you’ll be able to breathe much easier knowing you’re prepared. You’ll also be able to think about sitting around doing absolutely nothing over break. But until then, it’s good to stay on top of what you need to get done.

“…Revisiting the syllabi for due dates around holiday breaks is important, as well,” said English assistant professor Tim Crowley. “This will make sure you are fully aware of what you need to have done when you return.”

Setting a schedule for the end of the week is an easy way of staying on top of everything. It’s easy to lose track of due dates and activities you’ve committed yourself to. With a set schedule each week, you’ll know which things you have to make time to do every day, which helps build your time management skills.

“If students are feeling overwhelmed at end-of-the-semester woes, there are plenty of resources that can help them in whatever issues they may be having,” said Steve Estes, academic adviser for the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. “Academic advisers, [the] Office of Student Academic Success and even CAs are fantastic resources.”

Students should use the resources available to them and they should also keep a positive attitude toward their studies. Staying positive is one issue we all struggle with throughout the semester. It is not as bad as you think. I mean, finishing a semester also signals being one step closer to your dream of graduating and getting out in the real world.

“Around this time I seem to get the most work ever, and it just keeps piling up,” said senior communication major Jordan Reed. “I just pace myself and try to remember that once all of it is done, I’m done.”

It’s already the middle of November. Just hold on, keep focused and put your best foot forward.