Scavenger hunt to teach healthy eating

By Blake Glosson

If you’re a quest junky and you enjoy prizes to help you get fit while saving time and money, you won’t want to miss Wednesday’s Grocery Store Scavenger Hunt.

Many students do not shop as efficiently and healthfully as they could. The media is saturated with contradictory diets and faulty shopping advice. This scavenger hunt can help figure out what to buy and what to leave on the grocery shelves.

The event will take place at 7 p.m. at the Recreation Center. It will begin with a presentation by Ellen Pudney, graduate student and dietetic intern.

Before students will receive their item checklists, Pudney will educate students on how to shop to stretch food dollars, how to become familiar with sections of grocery stores and what to look for in food labels.

“The purpose is to help provide some information to students who are new to buying their own food,” Pudney said. “It doesn’t have to be a burden, and [students will learn] that reading labels and saving money can also be something that’s simple and easy to do.”

Students may begin the hunt once the presentation concludes. They will have until midnight Thursday to take pictures of the items from grocery stores of their choice and post them on the Rec Twitter page, @NIUCampusRec, using #NIUFoodhunt.

Teams who find and post all the items will be entered into a raffle to determine the winner. Each member of the winning team will be able to choose their award.

Prizes include a one-semester FitPass, a six-week Huskie Fit Club session, four sessions with a personal trainer or two months of private sessions with a nutrition counselor — all free. Keep in mind you must attend the presentation Wednesday night to be eligible for a prize.

Of course, even if you can’t participate in the scavenger hunt, you can still come to the presentation and gain some valuable knowledge.

Learning how to manage a food budget is crucial for young adults, and buying food isn’t something that’s going away anytime soon. It’s an art you will be asked to master for the rest of your life. When you factor in the absurd amount of money people pay for medical bills, knowing how to make nutritious choices when shopping becomes a must.

Martha O’Gorman, registered dietitian and supervisor of the dietetic interns, believes students who take advantage of the nutrition services offered at NIU — particularly this event — will get a better grip on their diet and shopping decisions.

“[Students] may be wanting to branch out and do what they think might be healthier; we like to give them the direction to make sure that’s a clear decision,” O’Gorman said.

There are few experiences in life that are free, exciting and instrumental in your wellbeing and financial success. This is one of those rarities. Don’t let it pass.

To learn more about the event, visit the Rec Facebook page or the NIU website at bit.ly/1hSUrPa.