Business students take skills to catwalk

By Rachel Scaman

Business students will take to the runway with briefcases in tow for a Pi Sigma Epsilon fashion show.

The business fraternity will host the event, which exposes students to the benefits and opportunities of pursuing a career in retail management, at 7 p.m. Thursday in Barsema Hall.

This is an annual event the fraternity holds to highlight retail management opportunities. Kohl’s is sponsoring it and providing clothing for students to model at the event.

Chris Kelly, senior marketing major and fraternity member, said he will be modeling to show how to dress in a business professional style.

“This event will help students realize what types of clothing are appropriate in the professional world, whether it be casual, business casual or business professional,” Kelly said. “It’s important for students to learn how to present themselves in the working world.”

Lexi Wozny, senior marketing major and vice president of public relations for the fraternity, planned the event.

“I want to bring more exposure to campus about retail management careers and the importance of students building their resumes by taking on internship positions before graduation,” Wozny said.

Wozny said Kohl’s is very involved with the Phi Sigma Epsilon community and the annual event helps maintain that relationship.

“Some members have had an internship with Kohl’s and have pursued careers at Kohl’s because of this event,” Wozny said.

The event is open to any student and it is free to attend.

“It is important for NIU students involved in customer-oriented professions, such as business, textiles, hospitality, criminal studies, and so forth, to consider careers in retail organizations,” said Mark Rosenbaum, Kohl’s Corporation professor of retail marketing. “These careers include store-level management, distribution and loss prevention.”

Wozny said the fraternity’s event will provide great opportunities for students.

“For students looking for real-life experience in management and retail, a career with Kohl’s is the ideal place to start,” Wozny said. “Many students and members of [Phi Sigma Epsilon] have great experiences with Kohl’s through internships and full-time positions.”

Rosenbaum said he helps Kohl’s continue to view NIU as its prime source for managerial talent campus recruitment.

“Today, Kohl’s is a $20 billion company with NIU being placed in the company’s largest revenue producing region,” Rosenbaum said. “Essentially, NIU is the No. 1 campus for Kohl’s and is located in its No. 1 region.”

The fraternity is selling ties for NIU’s job fair. Regular ties are $25 and Victoria’s Secret PINK ties are $30. A portion of the PINK tie sales will go toward Susan G. Komen breast cancer research.