SA senate approves new directors at meeting

By Erin Kolb

The Student Association (SA) Senate held its last meeting for the spring 2013 semester Sunday.

The Senate discussed a bill that would create an athletics committee for the SA. This bill has been brought up multiple times throughout the semester and was vetoed last week by SA President Delonte LeFlore. Senator Dillon Domke said LeFlore cautioned the SA Senate not to create such structures on a whim.

“This is not on a whim,” Domke said. “We’ve been working for weeks, months, countless hours on this. As he has recognized himself, there is a problem with athletics.”

President-elect Jack Barry disagrees with the creation of an athletics committee.

“There is a communication issue between the student body and the SA,” Barry said. “We already have a director of athletics. We want to talk about increasing our athletic program and student involvement, but this way we’d have three voices trying to communicate the same message. It’s excessive. The senate’s job is to tell the director if there is an issue, not to tell them how to do their job.”

After limiting the debate in the interest of time, the senate approved LeFlore’s veto of the bill.

After discussion of the bill, a resolution was passed to approve Tatanne Butler as director of organizational development. Butler said she has experience in planning, leadership development and maintaining club attendance.

“I want to make sure people who are relevant to organizations market themselves uniquely and get students aware of their organization,” Butler said. “I hope to make sure organizations are relevant to this campus.”

Derrick Martin was appointed director of student life.

“I want to direct programs and safety initiatives to introduce students to organizations and programs that are new to campus, or they may not know about,” Martin said. “I want to get freshmen and sophomores more involved in campus life and the Senate.”