Student failure isn’t always students’ fault

By Kim Randall

“Try harder next time.” “Oh, well maybe you’ll do better on the next one.”

Don’t you hate these phrases? I certainly do. I am sure many of us have heard these words at some point in time. The worst time to hear them uttered is during that pep talk given to you once you’ve received an “undesirable” grade. But there’s one thing that stings more than just having gotten that grade: when your professor hasn’t lived up to what their profession expects of them. Yes, this does happen and it is time it’s discussed.

Generally, when a student has received a “bad” grade, it is chalked up to the student’s lack of studying, laziness or just overall disregard toward his or her education. Then, there are those who have done their best and yet their best still didn’t produce the best results.

Professors are essentially here to teach and engage students in subject matter and material most reflectant of higher education and the particular course they teach. Some may lose sight of that and fall below expectations. In this event, students are left to fend for themselves and can ultimately be subject to getting a bad grade in the course. This isn’t fair because since we are here paying so much money, we should in turn receive the best education possible. To put it simply, I don’t believe all of the blame for a student’s poor grade should be placed on the student.

I am in no way, shape or form trying to shift this blame onto professors, nor am I trying to offer students a scapegoat for all the things they find wrong. Students should always take full responsibility of their education to succeed in college. However, the instances where a student has completely immersed him or herself into a course, doing all that they can to do well, should not be ignored.

There have been numerous times where I’ve found myself studying, reading and being proactive in seeking help when needed; however, the course still proved to be difficult and my grade suffered.

“I feel so defeated when I try so hard in a class, but the professor isn’t being as clear as he or she should,” said sophomore undecided major Christian Dixon. “It’s like, what do I do when I’ve tried everything at that point?”

I am aware some instances of low grades could very well be because of a student’s inability to grasp the concepts of the course, but let’s not let that stand as the only reason possible. The ways in which a course is taught, or lack thereof, can be just as important.

Ultimately, there should be a collaborative effort between both professor and student to reflect a balanced ratio of teaching to learning. The professor does his or her duty as one who is here to teach, and students in turn soaks up the knowledge bestowed upon them to do well in the class.

If students are to be held accountable, professors should be too in some form. Cohesion is key.