Student organization focus on enhancing social media at NIU

By Ali Combs

Student Social Media Consultants (SSMC) met to touch base and discuss upcoming projects at NIU by consulting with the Division of University Relations to enrich NIU’s social media efforts.

At the meeting Monday, members met and discussed the group’s current and upcoming efforts, recruitment possibilities for the group, and recent changes in social media sites. They also discussed the possibility of making a team for NIU Cares Day along with covering the upcoming Meet the Mayor event.

The group contributes to these efforts by working with on and off campus advertising, connecting and interacting with potential students, and engaging the NIU community by providing colsultation for social media websites. The group is a student organization meets every monday at 1 p.m. on Monday in Swen Parson Hall.

Spencer Labunski, SSMC Treasurer and senior political science major, said his favorite project the group has done is one they are currently working on.

“We’re going around to different sports clubs and filming them using a GoPro camera how it’s meant to be used– at very weird angles,” Labunski said. “We went to the hockey team’s practice, and I took some skates and skated around with the team. We have more videos coming up with both men’s and women’s rugby and the equestrian team. There should be a good number of them coming out once it gets warmer.”

In addition to consulting with NIU to maximize the university’s efforts with social media, the group offers consultation to other student groups who want to enhance their anility to use social medias.

“We’re willing and able to help,” said Mike Glassberg, SSMC Secretary and senior interactive marketing major. “We did blogs for Research Rookies. It was the kind of thing where we have a room full of Research Rookies, and we help them out with blogs, things like what to post and who to target.”

Holly Nicholson, SSMC faculty advisor and social media specialist for NIU, said the group is good experience for members.

“They just gave a talk at a workshop in February at the Student Involvement and Leadership Development workshop, and it was the highest rated talk,” Nicholson said. “Members consult for NIU’s social media, and that goes on their resumes along with extra projects.”