National Society of Collegiate Scholars to induct student scholars

By Kelly Marshall

The National Society of Collegiate Scholars (NSCS) will induct outstanding student scholars at a private ceremony at 7 p.m. Tuesday in the Carl Sandburg Auditorium of the Holmes Student Center.

NSCS is an honors organization that recognizes scholar students. The society is made up of the top 20 percent of students who have achieved a GPA of 3.4 or higher.

Academic counselor Ramona Walton-Fykes said students benefit from the society.

“Even if a student GPA drops from a 3.4 or higher they are still able to receive the benefits from the society like scholarships, internship, and even studying abroad opportunities,” Walton-Fykes said.

Matthew Phillips, treasurer of NIU’s NSCS chapter and senior engineering technology major, said the organization has many opportunities.

“Our mission is to become a network that helps each other take advantage of all the opportunities through NSCS,” Phillips said. “We offer internships and scholarships, as well as build a campus chapter and get involved.”

Membership is obtained by invite only. New members from NIU will be recognized by the national office in Washington, D.C.

Inductees will be presented with pins and introduced to the society in front of friends and family during the induction ceremony. The ceremony will be recognizing academically excellent freshmen, sophomore and transfer students. The ceremony is only open to the NSCS members, inductees and their guests.

Vanessa Almanza, president of NIU’s chapter of NSCS and junior occupational therapy major, said she will be a part of the induction ceremony for the first time this year. Almanza said the organization was not active in her freshman and sophomore years.

“I’ve been interested in NSCS since my freshman year; this is my first time getting inducted and I’m really excited to do it with our new members,” Almanza said. “The induction ceremony is really to focus on the freshmen and sophomores and recognize their academic excellence from transitioning from high school to college.”