New Hall Council to sponsor Winter Wonderland festivities

By Kelly Marshall

NIU will have a Winter Wonderland at 7:30 p.m. today that will cover all upcoming outdoor adventure events available for students this spring.

The event, co-sponsored with the New Hall Council, has been moved indoors to the New Hall Community Room due to the lack of snow.

Students will be able to rent all of the winter gear available through the Adventure Center, including snowshoes, cross skis, figure and hockey skates, snowboards, and air sleds. The showing of The Art of Flight will begin at 8:30 p.m. Snacks and hot cocoa will be provided. The event is free and will run until 10 p.m.

The adventure center has different events available throughout the semester. The next free event will be sledding from 5 to 9 p.m. Feb. 23 at the Russell Woods Forest Preserve in Genoa, Ill. Transportation, sleds and hot cocoa will be provided for those attending.

The first trip will be a Moonlight Cross Country Ski/Hike from 6 to 9 p.m. Tuesday.

There will be hiking if there is not enough snow to ski. The cost for NIU students is $20; the event will cost $24 for non-NIU students if registered by Friday. The cross country ski package will provide transportation, instructions, hot cocoa and rentals for all registered students.