HSA hosts comedy fundraiser to provides laughs, stress relief

By Joe Palmer

Laughter may be the best medicine, but it’s also a great fundraiser, as the Honors Student Association (HSA) hosted the “Last Laugh Comedy Show” to raise student morale and provide some jokes before finals week Tuesday night.

The show featured comedians Matt Drufke, Kristen Toomey, Adam Grant, Jack Baker and headliner Marty DeRosa.

Sophomore accountancy major Sarah Honda attended the show because said she needed a break from studying for finals.

“I’m looking forward to getting away from all my homework and just getting some laughs,” Honda said.

Faith Stauersboll, junior nursing major and HSA vice president, said the event was a great way for students to destress right before finals.

“We are hosting this event to provide entertainment and fun to students, while still raising funds and awareness for HSA,” Stauersboll said.

The event was hosted by Drufke and his team, Streetlight Comedy, which has performed at universities, clubs and locations across Illinois.

“There is a real joy in bringing entertainment to groups and places that might not get to see comedy regularly,” Drufke said. “We always feel honored to be asked back to such a great university to perform. We’ve never left NIU and not been amazed at how great of an audience we get.”

Baker, an NIU alumnus and former HSA president, said the event was a fun way to raise money for HSA while providing some stage time for the troupe.

“It’s just really fun to come back,” Baker said. “I had a great night. It’s fun to perform for a group like HSA and for NIU. This was a great opportunity for us to have some fun and provide some laughs.”