Presentation on Asian body image to be held Wednesday

By Samantha Brockett

An event discussing body image among Asians and Asian Americans in the media will be held this Wednesday.

My Body and Me: Asians and Americans in the Eyes of the Mainstream will be held by the Asian American Center at 6:30 p.m. at the center, 429 Garden Road.

“The presenters of this session will use video, images and questions to generate discussion about Asians in the media and the impact on body image among Asians and Asian Americans,” said Michelle Bringas, director of the Asian American Center.

The event is the third part of the Asian American Center’s SerendipiTEA series being held once a month. The series focuses on topics that bring awareness to Asian Americans.

The series of events were put together by the Asian American Center and the Counseling and Student Development Center. The discussion on Wednesday will focus on how Asian Americans are portrayed in the media.

Lisa Takara, intern from Counseling and Student Development Center, hopes the event will attract different kinds of people.

“We hope to reach out to Asian Americans and anyone else who is interested so we are able to increase the awareness of how the media portrays Asian American men and women,” Takara said.

Several speakers will address the issue of Asian American portrayal in the media more in depth. Along with speakers, a short video will be presented by Kristy De Chirico, graduate assistant from Counseling and Student Development Center. The video is called Asian American Beauty: Female Body Image.

“It talks about what is beautiful in the Asian American culture and it shows student perspectives,” De Chirico said.