Campus Activities Board receives funds from SA

By Brian Singer

Oct. 2 correction: In an Oct. 1 Northern Star article titled “CAB receives funds,” the Northern Star incorrectly reported that Bill Nicklas’s title was executive director of the president’s office. His title is associate vice president for university planning and sustainability, according to an Aug. 2 NIU Today article. The Northern Star also incorrectly reported Nicklas spoke on the behalf of the Campus Activities Board (CAB) during the Student Association (SA) Senate meeting. Kevin Behrendt, CAB vice president of finance, and CAB adviser Dain Gotto spoke on behalf of CAB during the SA Senate meeting. The Northern Star has left the online version of this article unedited despite this correction to show our mistakes as they appeared in print.

The Campus Activities Board (CAB) received $4,000 at the first Student Association (SA) Senate meeting Sunday.

CAB requested funding from the SA Senate so they could attend the National Association for Campus Activities conference from Nov. 1 to 4 in Michigan.

Bill Nicklas, executive director of the president’s office, spoke on behalf of CAB at the SA Senate meeting. Nicklas said members of CAB wanted to represent NIU at a conference where other universities would be looking for performers to book campus events. Nicklas said CAB can save money by booking acts at a more reasonable price by talking to their agents directly.

The Senate approved a bill to grant CAB $4,000 to cover registration for the conference, hotel rooms and traveling expenses.

The Tae kwon do Club, the Hapkido Club and the Tae kwon do & Hapkido Club came to the Senate wanting their club’s classification to change from “sports” to “cultural.”

Sports clubs are managed through the Campus Recreation Center. Rhonda Hampton, assistant director at the Recreation Center, said sports clubs are required to fill out paperwork like waivers and adviser credentials. Sports clubs must also follow certain rules for regulation and safety.

Andrez Beltran, president of all three clubs, said he wanted the classification changed because members of their club do not enter in any competitions and the martial arts are centered on Korean culture.

The club’s resolution sparked a debate between the senators over whether the club fit either classification. The resolution ended up not passing.

Senator Mike Theodore felt the issue was positive for the Senate.

“At least we had a chance to debate something,” Theodore said. “Usually at first meeting things get passed without anyone saying anything.”

The Senate also recognized the Gerontology Student Organization and the American Meteorological Association.