Campus Blotter 8/31

By Northern Star Staff

The following was taken directly from the University Police. Anyone mentioned is presumed innocent until proved guilty in a court of law. The University Police Department provides police reports on the Web at finfacil.niu.edu/PublicSafety.

Aug. 31, 2012

At 10:49 a.m. on Aug. 27, an officer became aware of a report of criminal sexual abuse occurring on Aug. 26 at Stevenson Towers. The officer met with the complainant, took a report and started an investigation. On Friday, at the request of the complainant, the investigation was terminated.

At 10 p.m. on Aug. 27, an officer was sent to the NIU police department lobby in regards to a report of lost property. The officer met with the complainant and took a report. The case was open pending further investigation. On Friday, the complainant found their property.

At 12:37 a.m., an officer in the New Residence Hall Complex saw a person who appeared to be intoxicated and under 21. The officer met with the person and the meeting resulted in the person being referred to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct for unlawful consumption of alcohol by a minor.

At 11:48 a.m., an officer was sent to the north lobby of the NIU Police Department to meet with a person regarding a report of theft. The officer took a report and began an investigation.

At 11:16 p.m., officers were sent to Stevenson North for a report of cannabis. Officers met with people in the room in question. Cannabis was not found but the people were determined to be under 21 and consuming alcohol. Seven people were referred to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct for unlawful consumption of alcohol by a minor.

Sept. 1, 2012

At 7:56 p.m. on Aug. 28, an officer in the NIU police department lobby was approached by a person regarding a report of stolen property. The officer took a report. On Saturday, the case was administratively closed due to a lack of leads.

At 11:48 p.m. on Friday, an officer was sent to the north lobby of the NIU Police Department to meet with a person regarding a report of theft. The officer took a report and started an investigation. Saturday, this case was administratively closed due to lack of leads.

At 11 p.m. on Friday, an officer outside the Chick Evans Field House met with Devante  Jefferson, 19, of University Park. The meeting resulted in Jefferson being arrested for possession of cannabis. Jefferson was processed at the NIU police department and released on a $1,500 individual bond.

At 1:53 a.m., an officer outside of the main entrance to Grant Towers North made contact with a person who appeared to be under 21 and intoxicated. The meeting resulted in the person being referred to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct for unlawful consumption of alcohol by a minor.

At 10:16 p.m., officers met with a person at the east side of the new residence hall complex regarding a report of domestic battery. The officers took a report and started an investigation. The case is open pending further leads.

Sept. 2, 2012

At 12:31 a.m., officers in Lot X met with people who appeared under 21 and intoxicated. The meeting resulted in the person being referred to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct for unlawful consumption of alcohol by a minor.

At 5:20 p.m., officers were sent to Douglas Hall regarding a report of cannabis. Officers made contact with people in the room in question. The meeting resulted in them being referred to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct for possession of cannabis and possession of drug paraphernalia.

Sept. 3, 2012

At 7:45 p.m. on Aug. 28, an officer was sent to the NIU police department lobby regarding a report of stolen property. The officer met with the complainant and took a report. On Monday this case was administratively closed due to a lack of leads.

At 12:08 a.m., an officer at Hillcrest Drive at Annie Glidden Road met with a person who was determined to be under 21 and intoxicated. The person was referred to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct for unlawful consumption of alcohol by a minor.

At 12:43 a.m., an officer on West Hillcrest Drive met with a person who appeared to be under the age of 21 and intoxicated. This meeting resulted in the person being referred to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct for unlawful consumption of alcohol by a minor.

At 8 p.m., officers were sent to Douglas Hall regarding a report of cannabis. Officers made contact with a person in the room in question. The meeting resulted in the individual being referred to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct for possession of cannabis and possession of drug paraphernalia.

At 8:34 p.m., officers conducted a traffic stop on a vehicle at Lucinda Avenue. The driver, James  Dortch, 23, of Chicago, was arrested for having an active arrest warrant for failure to appear in court on a traffic offense. Dortch was processed at the NIU police department and sent to the DeKalb county jail.

At 10:05 p.m., an officer was sent to Neptune East regarding a report of an obnoxious odor. The officer met with the person in the room in question. The meeting resulted in the person being referred to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct for possession of cannabis and possession of drug paraphernalia.