Convocation Center holds career fair

By Hailey Kurth

People of every age joined together at the Convocation Center Wednesday for one common goal – to score a career at this semester’s job fair.

Companies set up tables lining the inside and outside of the track and spoke to students, alumni and non-student candidates. Candidates were given an employer guide as they entered. The guide included list and map of the employers at the job fair, their table number, the majors they’re looking for and what positions they were looking to fill.

“We’ve been pretty busy, but we’re also at the front, so it’s not too hard,” said Amanda Wilhelmi, internal recruiter for Indiana and Illinois Aerotek. “But NIU always has a really good turnout; that’s why it’s one of our favorite fairs.”

Sophia Yanuzzi, senior psychology and political science major, said it was her first time attending a job fair. She said she planned on choosing several companies from the guide to talk to.

“I’m not really looking for any jobs that are here specifically,” Yanuzzi said. “I’m just here to get experience talking to employers.”

Mary Myers, associate director of campus and employer relations for career services, said they hoped for 1,000 candidates to attend the fair. Including alumni, Myers estimated that 25 to 30 percent of the candidates were not current students. There were about 152 companies in attendance; there were 137 at last spring’s job fair. Myers said 20 to 25 of the companies from the job fair also attended the internship fair Tuesday.

“The employer turnout was really amazing,” Myers said. “So, it would indicate to us that they’re really looking to hire.”

NIU alumnus Andrew Flack said it was his first visit back to Northern since he graduated. Flack said he had a general resume, but had researched the companies and focused on five, then created specific resumes for them. Flack said this is his first job fair, but he has had plenty of interviews before.

“I’ve tested the waters already in the job market,” Flack said. “I felt that this was another opportunity to further my career search.”

The career fairs continue with the Mid-America educators’ job fair on Feb. 27 at the Convocation Center. Open session begins at 9 a.m. for NIU students, and at 10 a.m. for non-NIU students.

“We have about 70 school districts coming to recruit and speak to our teachers,” Myers said. “Typically, we’ll have about 1,000 to 1,100 candidates come through.”