Homecoming royalty voted in

Freshman undecided major Anja Carlson votes for Homecoming King and Queen at the Holmes Student Center Wednesday afternoon

By Andrea Azzo

Students had the opportunity to crown royalty during Wednesday’s homecoming court elections.

From 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Wednesday, ballots could be cast in DuSable Hall and the Holmes Student Center.

Some students said they voted for people they know.

“The guy running is my frat brother,” said Kazimier Chevas, senior political science major.

Chavez said he has known the candidate since his freshman year.

“I know four of the candidates personally,” said Khiry Johnson, junior health education major. “I know what I would like to see the campus reflecting, so I knew which [candidates] were a better fit.”

There are 10 candidates for homecoming court. Elizabeth Elie, senior composition, new computer music major and queen candidate, was outside DuSable Wednesday morning, handing out handbills and telling students to vote for her.

“A lot of people who came up already knew who I was,” Elie said. “I’m trying to get as many people to voice their vote on who they want the face of NIU to be.”

Winners will be announced at halftime during Saturday’s football game against Western Michigan. Besides keeping the crown, winners will also be escorted in cars through the homecoming parade Saturday, said Brianna Dark, vice president of programming for Campus Activities Board.

Jasmine Harvell, senior communications major and queen candidate, said she is heavily involved in the Residence Hall Association. She is also in the Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority and works in the financial aid office.

“I wanted to run because I’ve been in so many student organizations and have met so many people,” Harvell said.

Election judge Chuck Hammette said the voting system uses a machine to swipe students’ OneCards. This prevents them from voting twice.

“This isn’t Chicago,” Hammette joked.

Andrea Winder, freshman political science major, said one of the candidates went to the voting center, but did not tell her to vote for her. Winder voted for the candidate anyway because “she was nice.”

“I’m confident and optimistic at the same time,” Harvell said. “What I’ve really taken out of this is having fun. I want to enjoy the homecoming elections, and if I win, it would just be icing on the cake.”