Homecoming week is here again

By Hailey Kurth

It’s that time of year again; this week is Homecoming week.

NIU’s annual homecoming week kicked off with a powder-puff football game in Central Park Sunday.

“I’m so excited for homecoming; it’s such a fun week,” said Amanda Kalkstein, senior English education major, “[NIU] gets all together, and we get to cheer together. Not only is the football game fun, but tugs is fun, too. The girls practice really hard for months. I can’t wait to see who wins.”

Homecoming activities are planned for each day this week, and all students and student organizations are encouraged to get involved. A list of the activities can be found at the Student Involvement and Leadership Development website.

“Traditionally, homecoming has the same events every year,” said Guadalupe Barraza-Ramirez, vice president for Huskie Traditions for Campus Activities Board. “You should expect to find the same thing you saw last year, this year.”

Barraza-Ramirez said the most attended events are usually Yell Like Hell, which is Thursday at the Convocation Center, and the powder-puff football game. CAB will host a kick off-rally in the MLK Commons from noon to 3 p.m. today

“Students walking to class can stop by and say ‘hi’ to CAB. We hand homecoming T-shirts out and any promotional items,” Barraza-Ramirez said. “There’s going to be football players there, too.”

Michael Anderson, assistant vice president of athletic events for CAB, said there are five men and five women on the Homecoming court this year. Students can vote for Homecoming court Wednesday at the Holmes Student Center with a valid NIU Onecard. The results will be announced at the football game Saturday, Anderson said.

“Anyone can run [for court], but most of the time it’s involved students because they have the support,” Anderson said. “When they run, they can represent an organization.”

Other events include a recycled boat race on Tuesday at the East Lagoon, the homecoming parade, the Homecoming football game against Western Michigan and the Glow in the Dark party Saturday to wrap-up the week.

The parade starts downtown at the intersection of Second Street and Lincoln Highway. It travels to First Street, Locust Street, then to Lucinda Avenue where it ends at the Chick Evans Field House, Barraza-Ramirez said.