Police: No arrests made in Wednesday night shooting

A DeKalb squad car sits outside Sharks, 901 Lucinda Avenue. Police confirmed one person was shot in the leg and has been taken to Kishwaukee Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

By Matt Liparota and Kyla Gardner

UPDATE (10:35 a.m.): No arrests have been made in relation to the late Wednesday shooting near Lucinda Avenue, said DeKalb Police Lt. Gary Spangler. Police are still looking for suspects.

UPDATE (5:33 a.m.): DeKalb Police Chief Bill Feithen said the victim and suspects in Wednesday night’s shooting had previous contact.

He said the victim’s account of the shooting, as told to the Northern Star by an NIU student who spoke with the victim,  “mischaracterizes the incident” because it was not a random act.

He said police have given out a suspect description and have “additional persons of interest.” The police are “actively pursuing” the case.

Feithen said the victim has been released from Kishwaukee Hospital.

He said there are no safety concerns because the shooting was not a random act.

UPDATE (3:02 a.m.): The victim of Wednesday night’s shooting told an NIU student he was shot in the leg when three men tried to mug him by the Village Commons Bookstore parking lot.

The NIU student who spoke with the victim, sophomore biology major Dan Patterson, said he heard sounds from his Neptune Hall West room late Wednesday night, but didn’t know whether they were gun shots. When he heard someone say, “Call for an ambulance,” he looked out his window to see a man lying underneath a tree in the parking lot between Neptune West and Neptune North.

The victim, who Patterson described as African-American, thin and with dreadlocks, spoke with him and several other students before police arrived.

“I asked him what happened, and he said, ‘I’ve been shot,'” Patterson said.

Patterson said the victim told him that he was by the VCB parking lot, 901 Lucinda Ave., when three men attempted to mug him. One of the men pulled a gun and shot him in the leg and the victim ran toward Neptune West.

Patterson said the victim said he was shot at three or four more times as he ran, before the men left. Patterson said the victim told police the man with the gun was lighter-skinned, wearing a gray hooded sweatshirt and about 5’6″.

Patterson said someone had already called an ambulance when he got down to the parking lot from his room. He said DeKalb Police arrived first and looked at the victim’s gun shot wound, asked him questions and put out a call to police to start looking for the three men.

“Then the ambulance showed up and loaded him up and took off,” Patterson said.

Patterson said three or four students were in the Neptune parking lot, calling police and talking to the victim. The shooting drew interest from nearby residents.

“Everybody was looking out their window because they heard gunshots,” he said.

ORIGINAL STORY (1:33 a.m.): A non-NIU student shot in the leg late Wednesday night was transported to Kishwaukee Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries, police said.

An unidentified person was shot in the vicinity of the Neptune Hall West parking lot and the Village Commons Bookstore (VCB) strip mall, 901 Lucinda Ave. Witnesses near the scene said the victim was male and the altercation started near the VCB. Police said they had no suspects in custody just before 1 a.m.

Shortly after 1:30 a.m., Quincy Bevely, Neptune East hall director, confirmed that the victim was not an NIU student. It was unknown as of press time whether any possible suspects are students.

Junior communications major Barnes Kwon said he saw someone “staggering and fall” in the Neptune Hall West parking lot.

Senior philosophy major Danielle Long said she didn’t see the shooting itself, but she and her roommate heard “three pops” while they were walking to the VCB.

“We thought they were fireworks,” Long said.

Long said she and her roommate saw people running. Upon returning to Neptune, the two saw the victim. Long said her roommate called 911 at that time.

A group of about 10 females at 817 Lucinda Ave., who wished to remain unnamed, said they heard four gunshots. Many in the group agreed they saw people running toward Neptune Hall afterward. One woman said one of the people running wore a black hoodie. Another woman said she saw someone run behind the VCB.

Reporters on the scene observed a car parked in the VCB parking lot with the passenger’s side window shattered. They also observed police on the scene searching a white Honda Civic with an NIU parking sticker in the windshield.