Students to explore campus groups via bingo

By Felix Sarver

The Student Association is helping students explore groups on campus with a game of bingo.

The Organizational Expo, planned for Sept. 14, looks to give students an opportunity to explore a number of student organizations recognized by the SA.

The expo is planned to be held from 4:30 to 8:30 p.m. at Central Park, between Grant and Stevenson towers. In case of rain, it will be held at the Chick Evans Field House.

The expo will be organized with a bingo game for students, said DeLonte LeFlore, director of student life for the SA. Students can pick up one of four different types of bingo cards that will have different SA organizations listed, and they can go to as many of the organizations as the bingo cards allow, LeFlore said.

LeFlore coordinated the event with Kyle Donoghue, director of advertisement for the SA. The two also worked with Health Enchancement, Recreation Services and Event Production Services.

The main goal of the expo is to get students more involved in student organizations, Donoghue said, noting that organization involvement looks good on a resume when the time comes to find a job.

The expo is mainly geared to freshmen and transfer students, Donoghue said.

The theme for the expo is “Huskie Leaders Learning Today, Leading Tomorrow.”

“We are developing leaders here,” LeFlore said. “They are learning how to lead in these respective organizations. We are going to be the leaders of tomorrow in the business and the corporate world; that is the message we are getting across.”

This year’s expo differs from previous years by using different resources for advertising, LeFlore said. The SA is using a street team to meet people, handing out ad booklets, showing pop-ups on the Huskie bus monitors, giving flyers to residence hall community advisers to bring in freshmen and advertising on social networks, Donoghue said.

LeFlore said prizes including t-shirts, water bottles, messenger bags, a $300 book store scholarship and a $300 meal plan will be offered to attendees.

“Our primary goal this year is to make students more well-aware of what the Student Association does,” Donoghue said.