Asian American Association gets fashionable for Japan

By Takia Simpson

DeKALB | The Asian American Association combines fashion with a good cause.

AAA’s annual fashion show will be held tonight at 6 p.m. in the Carl Sandburg Auditorium as a part of Asian Awareness Month. This year’s theme is “Full House.” Proceeds from this event will be donated to the Japan Relief Fund in hopes to help the country recover from the recent 9.0-magnitude earthquake.

“As soon as we heard the news about [Japan] we thought, ‘Hey we should do this; it will be a good idea,” said freshman nursing major Abner Palevino.

Palevino urges people to come out and see the event not only because it brings the Asian community together, but it also is intriguing and entertaining.

The show consists of several divisions. Each section will be broken off by skits that all come together to create a storyboard view of a family’s home setting [hints to the name “Full House”].

“It’s fun and exciting; it will get the crowd amped up,” said freshman elementary education major Margaret Gray.

Almost 70 performers have come together to produce this event. It includes a ‘90s hip-hop scene where clothes from Ragstock, located in Woodfield Mall, will be modeled with a step show. Also, a risqué Burlesque scene will take place, along with several other sections.

“People should come out because it’s a lot of fun,” Palevino said. “These scenes are very energetic. It shows a lot of different styles, and most importantly it shows the Asian people’s presence on campus.”

Tickets go on sale tonight at the Holmes Student Center. The cost is $4 for NIU students and $5 for the public.