Don’t waste your student fees

By Jack Baker

It is always the most nerve-wracking part of getting ready for school to begin: logging into MyNIU and seeing just how much you have to pay.

With tuition and fees, not to mention housing and books, it seems like everything just keeps adding up. There is nothing you can really do about the costs and it can be very frustrating.

But while it is easy to complain about the price of going to school, it is also just as easy to get your money’s worth, especially when it comes to student fees.

The fees that we pay provide services designed specifically for us. Using them whenever possible creates opportunities for you to get the most out of your time at NIU.

NIU’s student fees are set up on a graduated payment schedule, so that you pay based on the number of credit hours that you are taking.

This means that the more you are around campus, the more you pay, but you also have more opportunities to take advantage of everything that you pay for.

The fees are broken down into a couple of categories.

According to SA President Erik Calmeyer, the activity fee provides the Student Association with money to give to student groups and this money allows organizations to put on programs and events that serve the campus.

This money also goes to help fund valuable student resources, such as Campus Child Care, Health Enhancement, and Student Legal Services.

Getting your money’s worth out of the activity fee is simple. Join student groups, attend events, or even start your own group and try to get it funded.

The athletic fee supports NIU sports, according to the Office of the Bursar’s Fees and Common Charges web page. In addition, this fee allows students entrance into sporting events without having to buy a ticket.

While this may not seem like a lot, a general public ticket is $25 for most home football games. You can make back a large part of your athletic fee just by not having to buy tickets to sporting events.

The facilities and services fees cover many of the costs associated with the Holmes Student Center, the Campus Recreation Center, the Huskie Bus Line, Health Services, and other campus facilities.

In order to take full advantage of these facilities, all you have to do is use them.

Meet with some friends at the Student Center, go running at the Rec, ride a Huskie Bus, or get a free flu shot at Health Services.

Our fees create a number of opportunities around campus. While they can seem like a lot and paying them can be frustrating at the beginning of each semester, they are only a waste of money if you do not take advantage of everything that they make available to you.